Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marblehead in Essex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Bailey's Head

 
 
Bailey's Head Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, September 27, 2010
1. Bailey's Head Marker
Inscription.
This hill was formerly known as Bailey's Head. During the Revolution and the War of 1812, it was used as a fortification, Fort Washington, manned by local citizens with help if needed from the Lafayette Guards and the Marblehead Light Infantry.
On July 22, 1888, "The Ramparts" were conveyed to "the inhabitants of Marblehead" by the Honorable James J.H. Gregory "said gift subject to conditions (1) that the ancient headland shall be forever open free for any religious exercises by any person or society."
Made wealthy by "Gregorys Honest Seeds" this benevolent man shared his riches with the needy in many parts of the world and did much for the benefit of his native town.
Provision for this plaque was made by the unanimous vote of grateful citizens assembled at town meeting March 8, 1965.
 
Erected 1965.
 
Location. 42° 30.63′ N, 70° 50.732′ W. Marker is in Marblehead, Massachusetts, in Essex County. Marker is at the intersection of Orne Street and Pond Street, on the right when traveling north on Orne Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marblehead MA 01945, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Burial Hill (within shouting distance of this marker);
Bailey's Head Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, September 27, 2010
2. Bailey's Head Marker
Agnes Surriage Well (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Sewall (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Sewall (approx. mile away); Fort Sewall Site Plan (approx. mile away); a different marker also named Fort Sewall (approx. mile away); Gen. Casimir Pulaski (approx. mile away); Huzzah! for "Old Ironsides" (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marblehead.
 
Regarding Bailey's Head. James John Howard Gregory (1827-1910) was born in Marblehead. He graduated from Amherst College in 1850 and taught school for several years. He returned to Marblehead to farm, and then entered the seed trade with a business that started in his home. It grew to become one of the largest in the world, earning him the title of "The Seed King." He was a poet, author, art collector, civic leader and generous to the town of Marblehead.
 
Also see . . .  James J. H. Gregory, a timeline of his life. (Submitted on October 5, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
Categories. Horticulture & ForestryWar of 1812
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 5, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 639 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 5, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.
Paid Advertisement