Deadwood in Lawrence County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Serving the Black Hills
In the autumn of 1876, the Black Hills Pioneer reported that Deadwood had 173 businesses, including an assayer, a bank, a bath house, 3 butchers, 2 brewers, 4 billiard halls, 11 clothing houses, 21 grocers, 2 hardware stores, 8 laundries, 7 lawyers, and 27 saloons. Over time, enterprises diversified to include a foundry, brick plants, a cigar factory, and a creamery.
Caption on left photo: Zoellner Brothers' clothing store
Caption on middle photo: Bloom's Shoe and Clothing store
Caption on lower right photo: Black Hills Trust and Savings Bank
Caption on upper right photo: The interior of a meat market
Location. 44° 22.54′ N, 103° 43.891′ W. Marker is in Deadwood, South Dakota, in Lawrence County. Marker is on Main Street 0.1 miles west of Deadwood Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Deadwood SD 57732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of Deadwood Changing -- 1884 1902 and Now (within shouting distance of this marker); Generations of Change (within shouting distance of this marker); Ride High, T.C., Ride High (within shouting distance of this marker); Waite Block Annex (within shouting distance of this marker); Bonanza in the Hills (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Riches from Mud (about 400 feet away); Gold in the Gulch (about 500 feet away); Gold Discovery in the Great Sioux Reservation (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Deadwood.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 6, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 662 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 6, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.