Deadwood in Lawrence County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Generations of Change
The town acquired some modern technology early: the telegraph (1876), the telephone (1879), and electric lights (1883). However, oxen-pulled freight wagons and stage coaches had to provide transportation until 1890, when two standard gauge railroads arrived. In 1904, The Black Hills Illustrated claimed that Deadwood "possesses many of the elements of metropolitanism usually found in a city of 100,000 inhabitants."
These historic photographs look north down Main Street from about Shine Street.
Caption on photo in upper left: 1877 • Wooden buildings formed an irregular line down the dirt road. The level of Upper Main Street had not yet been lowered.
Caption on photo in lower left: 1889 • Ox teams crowded the dusty street and larger brick buildings began to replace wooden false-front structures.
Caption on photo in lower right: 1909 • Brick and stone buildings, and brick pavement gave Deadwood an air of permanence. Automobiles replaced bull trains, and fire hydrants gave Deadwood an added defense against future fires. Overhead electric lights illuminated
Location. 44° 22.571′ N, 103° 43.86′ W. Marker is in Deadwood, South Dakota, in Lawrence County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Deadwood Street, on the left when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Deadwood SD 57732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ride High, T.C., Ride High (here, next to this marker); Waite Block Annex (a few steps from this marker); Serving the Black Hills (within shouting distance of this marker); Deadwood Changing -- 1884 1902 and Now (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Deadwood City 1876 (about 300 feet away); The Fire of 1879 (about 400 feet away); The Great Flood (about 400 feet away); Bonanza in the Hills (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Deadwood.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 6, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 653 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 6, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.