Eagar in Apache County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Harry Colter Home
Erected 2002 by Round Valley Positive Action Tourism Committee and Springerville-Eagar Chamber of Commerce. (Marker Number 15.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Arizona, Pistols, Plows and Petticoats Historic Driving Tour marker series.
Location. 34° 6.886′ N, 109° 17.499′ W. Marker is in Eagar, Arizona, in Apache County. Marker is on North Main Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 214 North Main Street, Eagar AZ 85925, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William LeSueur Home (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Joseph Udall Barn (approx. ľ mile away); Brawley Boarding House (approx. ľ mile away); Eagar Elementary School (approx. half a mile away); Oscar Jepson Home (approx. 0.7 miles away); Old Grist Mill Site Snyder-Cavanaugh Shoot Out (approx. 0.9 miles away); Benjamin B. Crosby Home (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eagar.
More about this marker. This is Marker Stop #15 on the Pistols, Plows and Petticoats Historic Driving Tour.
Regarding Harry Colter Home. John P. LeSueur came to Eagar in 1911 as the first manager of a new branch of the Arizona Cooperative Mercantile Institution (ACMI). That year his daughter Lavern was born and the family needed larger quarters. He built this frame Folk Victorian home early in 1912 and covered it in pressed metal wall sheathing designed to resemble rusticated stone. In 1916 John and his wife divorced, John moved back to Springerville,
and the house was sold to Harry E. Colter and his wife Joyce. She was the daughter of Eagarís Mormon Bishop, Joseph Udall. They raised four children in this house and lived there for many years.
Source: The Pistols, Plows and Petticoats Historic Driving Tour Brochure.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 6, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 839 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 6, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.