Springerville in Apache County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Erected by Round Valley Positive Action Tourism Committee and Springerville-Eagar Chamber of Commerce. (Marker Number 26.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Arizona, Pistols, Plows and Petticoats Historic Driving Tour marker series.
Location. 34° 7.959′ N, 109° 16.898′ W. Marker is in Springerville, Arizona, in Apache County. Marker is on East Main Street 0.2 miles east of South Mountain Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Springerville AZ 85938, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Arizona Cooperative Mercantile Institution (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Becker's Transcontinental Garage (approx. 0.2 miles away); Madonna of the Trail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Presbyterian & Catholic Churchs (approx. ¼ mile away); Baca Home White Mountain Historical Park (approx. ¼ mile away); James Hale Shooting (approx. ¼ mile away); El Rio Theatre (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Springerville.
More about this marker. This is Marker Stop #26 on the Pistols, Plows and Petticoats Historic Driving Tour.
Regarding Springerville Schoolhouse. The first verified school began on this site with Con Bunch as teacher, circa 1880.
The original building was a square two-room plastered adobe on a rock foundation with a high, pitched roof and bell tower. The bronze bell called students to school from 1884 to 1950. A large classroom addition was added to the east and west sides and rear of the building using El Paso brick in 1927. The wood stoves and chimneys were removed and replaced with wood boilers.
This building has been nominated for placement on the National Register of Historic Places.
Source: The Pistols, Plows and Petticoats Historic Driving Tour Brochure.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 6, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 819 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 6, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Close-Up picture of the school bell. • Can you help?