Belton in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Dorchester Baptist Church World War II Veterans Plaque
men and women
serving our country
Dorchester Baptist Church
Breazeale, Thomas C
Cox, James B
Cox, William N
Cox, Fred N
Cox, Charles M
Fullbright, Bessie V
Fullbright, Ralph M
Keys, William R
King, Joseph C
King, William M
Ledbetter, Ina B
McMahan, George H
Saylors, Roy H
Wardlaw, Frank C
Location. 34° 32.7′ N, 82° 31.217′ W. Marker is in Belton, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker can be reached from Dorchester Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 134 Dorchester Road, Belton SC 29627, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Belton Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.9 miles away); First Baptist Church of Belton (approx. 2 miles away); Belton Academy / Central School (approx. 2.1 miles away); Belton Depot (approx. 2.2 miles away); Greenville & Columbia RR / Belton (approx. 2.2 miles away); Chamberlain-Kay House (approx. 2.2 miles away); Belton / Historic Belton The Belton Standpipe (approx. 2.3 miles away); Rocky River Baptist Association Headquarters (approx. 2.3 miles away); "Lord, We Are Grateful" (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Belton.
1. Dorchester Baptist Church
Dorchester Baptist Church was organized May 3, 1832, by about 40 members of the Big Creek, Neals Creek, and Hopewell Baptist Churches. Originally worshipping at the Rock Creek Brush Arbor, the church build a small wooden structure and gathered to worship once a month under the leadership of Rev. Bobby King. Even though most baptisms were held in creeks or rivers during the 19th century, this church was prompted by a great revival held in 1854, in which 40 persons were saved, to build a permanent structure. Water would be carried in large barrels to fill the pool for each baptismal occasion. Eventually filling in and covered over with dirt after the new church building housed an indoor baptismal, the pool was restored and dedicated on September 26, 2000.
— Submitted October 6, 2010, by Brian
2. Elder Robert King
This remarkable man and eminent minister of the Gospel was born of humble parentage in Anderson County, S.C., the first day of January, 1791.
The society in which he was reared was unfavorable to the development of the mental and moral powers of his youthful mind. He enjoyed no advantages, either educational or religious. At the age of eighteen, being disheartened by the dissipation of his father, he determined, without the counsel or permission of his parents, to seek his fortune among strangers, in a strange land. Accordingly, in the spring of 1809 he went to Dickson County, Tenn., where, in 1810, he professed religion, joined the Turn Bull Church, and was baptized by Elder Daniel White, of that State. Shortly after his conversion he returned to the land of his nativity, and united with the Neal's Creek Church, in Anderson County, S.C. In March of the succeeding year, he found a companion for life in the person of Miss Fannie Holland, daughter of the Rev. Moses Holland, at that time pastor of Neal's Creek Church. Like many other Christians, he became cold and careless, neglected the house of God, a sure indication of a back-sliding condition, and thus he continued, step by step, to decline until May, 1820. When, in his seventy-ninth year, he was asked by an eminent
Soon after his restoration to the church, his purity, humility and Christian deportment began to attract the attention and admiration of all who knew him. Such confidence was inspired by his piety, that he was frequently called upon to lead worshipping assemblies in prayer. A heaven-born zeal for the salvation of man now warmed up his soul, and he began to lift up his voice, portraying the wondrous love of Jesus. Uncultured as he was, his appeals were touching, powerful, and, in many instances, irresistible. Impressed with the love of Jesus and the value of souls, he now determined to consecrate himself wholly to the work of the ministry. One great obstacle, however, presented itself--he knew not a letter in the alphabet. But so strong was his desire to preach, that he resolved to overcome this barrier. His wife taught him his letters, to spell and
On May 24, 1828, he was ordained at the Neal's Creek Church by Elders James Burriss, Arthur Williams, Sanford Vandiver and Moses Holland. He then became pastor of Washington Church, in Greenville County, S.C., which position he held for eight years. In September 1829, he and Elder William McGee were called jointly to the care of Neal's Creek Church, and during the next year they baptized 160 converts. In 1831, by a petition, he moved his membership to Big Creek Church with a view of becoming its pastor. Here he continued nearly seven years, during the first three or four of which his ministerial labors were most signally blessed, the membership of the church having been increased from fifty-six to 163.
During his ministry at this church his usefulness was completely jeopardized and the spirituality and progress of the church wholly impaired by an anti-missionary party which controlled the church, but the Lord graciously saved His chosen servant from the influence and the errors of that party, for after this until his death he directed his whole energy and influence to the support of missions and other institutions which had for their end the glory of God and the amelioration of suffering humanity.
On May 3, 1832, he assisted in the constitution of the Dorchester church, becoming its pastor on the same day, which happy relation existed until 1866, a period of thirty-four years. This was his longest pastorate. In 1833 he assisted in the constitution of the Zion Hill Church, in Greenville County, S.C., and accepted a call to its pastorate, which continued for three years. In March of the same year he also assisted in the organization of Poplar Springs Church (now Long Branch). In 1836 he was called to the care of Hopewell Church, which position he filled for sixteen years to the glory of God and the salvation of man. He accepted a call in 1841 to the Lebanon Church, in which capacity he served till 1845. From 1843 to 1846 he served as pastor of the Poplar Springs Church.
In connection with his pastoral duties, he acted for some years about this time as colporter for the Book Depository of the Saluda Association, distributing large numbers of Bibles, Testaments, tracts and other religious books in the destitute portions
In 1847 he was called to the pastorate of Hepsibah Church, located in the “Fork,” between Seneca and Tugalo rivers, where he labored successfully and acceptably for seven years. He received a call in 1848 to the New Prospect Church, in Anderson county, which he accepted, serving them three years, to the satisfaction and delight of all. In 1852 he assisted in the organization of the church at Whitefield, and on the same day became its pastor, which relation continued until 1872, and as long as he was able to do pastoral work. He assisted in 1850 in constituting a church near Earle's Bridge, on Seneca river, known as the Seneca Church, which has since been changed to Mt. Tabor, and at their request preached for them two years. From 1858 to 1862 he served the church at Neal's Creek, and in 1859 he became pastor of the Mt. Bethel Church which position he held for seven years. In 1870 he took charge of the Mt. Tabor Church, and, so far as we know, this was the last call he ever accepted. In the year 1875 he assisted in the constitution of Cedar Grove Church, near Williamston. This was, perhaps, the last official work he ever done.
The whole life
Brother King raised a family of twelve sons and daughters, all of whom were members of the church he so ardently loved, and were upright and exemplary men and women, making useful and respected citizens in the various walks of life in which they engaged.
Having finished his course, he died January 1st, 1879, on his 88th birthday. (Source: A History of the Saluda Baptist Association by T.H. Garrett, 1896. Compiled from a biographical sketch prepared by Elder J.S. Murray, and published in The Baptist Courier.)
— Submitted October 6, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 6, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,291 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on October 6, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 12, 13, 14, 15. submitted on October 13, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 16, 17. submitted on October 6, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.