Milledgeville in Baldwin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Masonic Temple of Benevolent Lodge No 3, F. & A. M.
The Grand Lodge of Georgia met here annually from December 1834 through the 1845 session when its site was moved to Macon. During Reconstruction the building housed the office of the Freedmanís Bureau and its ground floor was headquarters of the local military garrison.
This building was built for the Masonic use of Benevolent Lodge Number 3, F. &. A. M.; Temple Chapter Number 6, R. A. M. and Georgia Council Number 4, R. &. S. M.
Erected 1980 by The Educational and Historical Commission, Grand Lodge of Georgia, F. &A.M.
Location. 33° 4.881′ N, 83° 13.617′ W. Marker is in Milledgeville, Georgia, in Baldwin County. Marker is at the intersection of East Hancock Street (Georgia Route 22/24) and North Wayne Street, on the right when traveling west on East Hancock Street. Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sacred Heart Catholic Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old State Capitol (about 500 feet away); Site of Fort Defiance (about 500 feet away); The Milledgeville Hotel and Oliver Hardy (about 600 feet away); Statehouse Square (about 600 feet away); The Great Seal of Georgia (about 600 feet away); Milledgeville Confederate Monument (about 700 feet away); Troup-Clark Political Feud (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milledgeville.
Regarding Masonic Temple of Benevolent Lodge No 3, F. & A. M.. John Linley, in his definitive Architecture of Middle Georgia: The Oconee Area, classifies the Masonic Building as “Of National Importance.”
Categories. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 9, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,436 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 9, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.