Milton area in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Cedar Creek Hundred
Erected 1932 by Historic Markers Commission. (Marker Number S 27.)
Location. 38° 47.571′ N, 75° 15.286′ W. Marker is in Milton area, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Coastal Highway (Delaware Route 1), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. On Route 1, east side of highway, just north of Creek. Marker is in this post office area: Milton DE 19968, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Zion United Methodist Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Holly Industry (approx. 3.1 miles away); Milton Fire Department, Inc. (approx. 3.1 miles away); Shipbuilding on the Broadkill (approx. 3.1 miles away); Ships and Men (approx. 3.2 miles away); Milton Public Library (approx. 3.2 miles away); Goshen Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away); Milton Museum (approx. 3.2 miles away).
Also see . . . Cedar Creek Hundred. The counties of Delaware were originally divided into Hundreds based on the English use of dividing up counties. On October 25, 1682, William Penn directed that Delaware be divided into hundreds for the purposes of taxation. A "hundred" is an old English Saxon land division which is smaller than a county or shire and larger than a tithing. It comprised ten tithings of ten freeholder families each or one hundred families. The hundreds of Delaware originally served as judicial or legislative districts, but now they remain only as a basis for property tax assessment. (Submitted on October 14, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 14, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 610 times since then and 77 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 14, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.