Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clinton in Hickman County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

Clinton Seminary

 
 
Clinton Seminary Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 4, 2010
1. Clinton Seminary Marker
Inscription. First high school in Ky. west of Tenn. River established at Clinton, 1846. Frame structure erected; burned 1854. In 1850, Clinton Female Seminary was incorporated. Organized as Clinton Academy as charter made no mention of only women students. Professor G.W. Ray was early educational leader in Hickman County. Clinton known as "Athens" of West Kentucky.
 
Erected 1974 by Kentucky Historical Society - Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1497.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 36° 40.005′ N, 88° 59.631′ W. Marker is in Clinton, Kentucky, in Hickman County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Street (U.S. 51) and Clay Street (State Highway 58), on the right when traveling south on Washington Street. Touch for map. Located on the east side of the county courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Clinton KY 42031, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hickman County Veterans Memorial (here, next to this marker); County Named, 1821 (here, next to this marker); Guerrilla Raids on Clinton (approx.
Markers and Memorial at the Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain
2. Markers and Memorial at the Courthouse
0.8 miles away); Casey Jones (approx. 8 miles away); Confederate Bivouac (approx. 8 miles away but has been reported missing); Columbus (approx. 8.8 miles away); Iron Banks (approx. 8.8 miles away); Columbus - A Town Transformed (approx. 9.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clinton.
 
Categories. Education
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 17, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 437 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on October 17, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   2. submitted on October 14, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement