Toronto in Toronto County, Ontario — Central Canada
The Royal Canadian Yacht Club
The province's first sailing association, the Toronto Boat Club, was formed in 1852 and two years later became the Royal Canadian Yacht Club. Dedicated to the promotion of yachting and naval interests, it initiated competitions which stimulated widespread interest in sailing and yacht design, and in 1860 instituted the Prince of Wales Cup, freshwater racing's oldest trophy. The Club was housed on Toronto's waterfront until 1881 when it moved to Toronto Island. This moved facilitated the club's continued growth. The R.C.Y.C. figured prominently in the formation of the Lake Yacht Racing Association (1884) for the establishment of uniform rules. The achievements of numerous members in competitive yacht racing have brought the Royal Canadian Yacht Club international recognition.
Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Culture and Recreation
Erected by Ontario Heritage Foundation.
Location. 43° 37.289′ N, 79° 21.943′ W. Marker is in Toronto, Ontario, in Toronto County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Chippewa Bridge Avenue and Cibola Avenue. Touch for map. The marker site can be reached on foot, about a 12-15 minute walk due east of the Centre Island ferry terminal
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Andrew By-The-Lake (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The Lake Light (approx. 1.8 kilometers away); The Royal York Hotel (approx. 3 kilometers away); The Bishop’s Palace 1818 (approx. 3 kilometers away); Little Norway (approx. 3.1 kilometers away); Mary Ann Shadd Cary (approx. 3.2 kilometers away); No. 2 (Centre) Blockhouse (approx. 3.6 kilometers away); The Battle of York 1813 (approx. 3.7 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toronto.
More about this marker. The marker is mounted on a pole where Cibola Avenue and Chippewa Bridge Avenue (both more paths than roads, actually) intersect, at the foot of the bridge.
Also see . . . History of the Royal Candadian Yacht Club. The RCYC provides its history:
The Royal Canadian Yacht Club was founded in Toronto in 1852 to serve both as a yachting recreational club and, in the British tradition, as an unofficial auxiliary of the Royal Navy in the defence of the waters of Lake Ontario. The Club was established under the name the Toronto Boat Club, but in 1854 with Queen Victoria's permission, the Club was renamed the Royal (Submitted on October 19, 2010.)
Categories. • Sports •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 19, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 771 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 19, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.