Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Deadwood in Lawrence County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

The Presidential District

History Link: A Trail to Deadwood's Past

 
 
The Presidential District Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, August 8, 2010
1. The Presidential District Marker
Inscription. As South Deadwood expanded along Sherman Street in early 1876, log cabins and small frame houses appeared on the hillsides above the mining camp. A cemetery was quickly established on a hill deemed too far away from town to ever be developed. Soon known as Ingleside, it was the original burial place of Wild Bill Hickock, Preacher Henry Weston Smith and dozens of faceless miners, muleskinners and madams.

In 1877 the gentle slopes of the hill became attractive to homeowners, who were being displaced by commercial growth on the flat land at the bottom of the gulch. By 1880 the cemetery had been moved further up the hill, clearing the way for new residential development. Within a few years the Ingleside neighborhood had replaced Forest Hill as the most fashionable quarter in town. Seth Bullock, Harris Franklin, Ben Baer, John Treber, Henry Frawley, George Ayres, Freeman Knowles and Charles and Jonas Zoellner all lived in Ingleside area, which was marked by large Queen Anne-style homes.

In time Ingleside became known as the Presidential District, since the neighborhood's streets were all named for all of the Presidents of the United States from Washington to Lincoln, with two mysterious exceptions: Franklin Pierce and James K. Polk. At its peak, the Presidential District was home to the county jail and its own two-story
The Presidential District Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, August 8, 2010
2. The Presidential District Marker
Caption: The Adams House when owned by the Franklins, circa 1900
school, although these were eventually demolished and replaced by homes. Following World War I, Upper Main supplanted the Presidential District as Deadwood's most stylish neighborhood.

After World War II, the Presidential area began to decline with the rest of Deadwood. Some of the largest homes — including the imposing Treber House — were claimed by fire, while others were converted into apartments and allowed to deteriorate. However, the legalization of limited stakes gaming in 1989 has helped revitalize the neighborhood. Most noticeably, gaming provided historic preservation funding for 22 Van Buren Street, which is now the public Adams House Museum. Many other private residences have been restored since the 1990s.
 
Erected by the Deadwood Historic Preservation Commission.
 
Location. 44° 22.275′ N, 103° 43.63′ W. Marker is in Deadwood, South Dakota, in Lawrence County. Marker is at the intersection of Charles Street (U.S. 85) and Sherman Street (U.S. 85), on the left when traveling north on Charles Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Deadwood SD 57732, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Franklinís Fine Home (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also
The Presidential District Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, August 8, 2010
3. The Presidential District Marker
Caption: View of the Presidential District from Van Buren Street, circa 1890
named The Presidential District (about 500 feet away); Gold Discovery in the Great Sioux Reservation (approx. 0.3 miles away); Civic Stability (approx. 0.3 miles away); Gold in the Gulch (approx. 0.3 miles away); Riches from Mud (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bonanza in the Hills (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hebrew Hill (Mt. Zion) (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Deadwood.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
The Presidential District Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, August 8, 2010
4. The Presidential District Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 20, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 675 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 20, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement