Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hartselle in Morgan County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

City of Hartselle, Alabama / Hartselle Facts

 
 
City of Hartselle, Alabama Marker image. Click for full size.
By Julia Frost, October 23, 2010
1. City of Hartselle, Alabama Marker
Inscription.
City of Hartselle
Hartselle, named after early pioneer George Hartsell (with no "e") rose from modest beginnings to an important position in the growing economy of Morgan County. Founded in 1870, the town owes its existence to the construction of the North and South Alabama Railroad (later the L&N), which began construction through the area in 1869 in an effort to connect the mineral rich areas in the southern part of the state with major shipping areas in north Alabama. Originally a mile north of the depot's current location, Hartselle consisted of a general store and saloon for workers. The town was relocated to its present site in 1873 and grew quickly around the first depot building, a converted boxcar. Railroad construction opened the Hartselle area to agriculture and timber production and the town became an important shipping point. The town's growth followed the fortunes of the railroad and farmers for more than 60 years. The Great Depression took a heavy toll on the local economy. Railroad and farming are no longer mainstays of today's economy.

Hartselle Facts
Founded in 1870 and incorporated in 1875 with J. Fletcher Turney serving as the first mayor.
*Cotton was king from 1870 through 1960. It was the primary cash crop of area farmers.
*Hartselle was an important center for fruit, berry

Hartselle Facts (Rear Side of Marker) image. Click for full size.
By Julia Frost, October 23, 2010
2. Hartselle Facts (Rear Side of Marker)
and timber production in North Alabama.
*Hartselle Pond, located north of town, was the center of social activities until it mysteriously disappeared in the early 1900s.
*The first county high school was located here in 1909.
*The famous hymn, "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms" was written at the Oden House in 1887.
*The Bank of Hartselle was robbed by 15 men in 1926 and the crime was never solved.
*In 1900, the population of Hartselle was 670.
*The Census Bureau estimated the population in 2007 to be 13,649.
 
Erected 2010 by The Alabama Tourism Department and The City of Hartselle.
 
Location. 34° 26.618′ N, 86° 55.982′ W. Marker is in Hartselle, Alabama, in Morgan County. Marker is on Railroad St SW 0.2 miles south of Main Street (County Road 36), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 Railroad St SW, Hartselle AL 35640, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Skirmish at Woodall's Bridge (approx. 2.9 miles away); First Permanent Court House, Morgan County (approx. 7.9 miles away); The "Katy-Did" Crash (approx. 9.1
City of Hartselle, Alabama / Hartselle Facts Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, January 23, 2011
3. City of Hartselle, Alabama / Hartselle Facts Marker
Marker is in front of the depot, looking south along Railroad Street.
miles away); Battleground (approx. 10.3 miles away); Recreation and Refreshment (approx. 10.9 miles away); Health and Civic Welfare (approx. 10.9 miles away); Social and Cultural Opportunities (approx. 11 miles away); Beauty and Hope (approx. 11 miles away).
 
Additional keywords. Hartselle, Morgan County, Alabama,
 
Categories. Notable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
Main Street, Hartselle, Alabama image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, January 23, 2011
4. Main Street, Hartselle, Alabama
Looking west along Main Street on a Sunday afternoon.
Freight House Restaurant image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, January 23, 2011
5. Freight House Restaurant
An old freight building has been converted into a popular local restaurant. This is just south of the marker and depot building.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 24, 2010, by Julia Frost of Hoover, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,690 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 24, 2010, by Julia Frost of Hoover, Alabama.   3, 4, 5. submitted on January 28, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement