While most logging camps were short-lived enterprises, Camp Nancy existed for approximately 16 years. The camp's longevity can in part be credited to the technological advances developed and implemented at the site. The Angelina County Lumber Company took advantage of the openness of the woods to replace ox and mule teams with four-line rehaul skidders. The efficiency of the skidders hastened the logging process, as well as the exploitation of the Southeast Texas forest. The company then implemented the first large-scale direct seeding effort in Texas designed to reforest cutover land, planting 100 pounds of longleaf pine seed in 1925.
The camp's logging operations were moved to Tyler County in 1933. The following year, the Civilian Conservation Corps established
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16536.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps marker series.
Location. 31° 6.344′ N, 94° 25.849′ W. Marker is near Zavalla, Texas, in Angelina County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 69 and Massey Road, on the right when traveling south on State Highway 69. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Zavalla TX 75980, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. U.S. Forest Service in Texas (approx. 6.3 miles away); Joseph Herrington (approx. 10.1 miles away); Site of the Town of Jonesville (approx. 13.1 miles away); Huntington (approx. 14.9 miles away); Homer Cemetery (approx. 16.9 miles away).
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 26, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,110 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 26, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.