Lake City in Florence County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
This area, in what was then Williamsburg Township, was settled as early as 1754 by members of the Dick, Graham, McAllister, Scott, and other families. Several residents served under Francis Marion during the Revolution. By the 1820s this community was sometimes called “the crossroads” for the intersection of two major roads (one from Georgetown to Camden, the other from Charleston to Cheraw), now Main and Church Streets.
This area was known as “Grahamís Crossroads” for Aaron Graham, who built a house here ca. 1830. The post office opened here in 1848 was named “Lynches Lake.” The town grew after the Northeastern RR was completed in 1857 and was chartered as Graham in 1874. Renamed Lake City in 1883, it was in Williamsburg County until 1912. Its tobacco market, opened in 1899, was among the largest in S.C. Its bean market, opened in 1936, was once the largest in the world.
Erected 2009 by the Florence City and County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 21-28.)
Location. 33° 52.299′ N, 79° 45.183′ W. Marker is in Lake City, South Carolina, in Florence County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Church Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lake City SC 29560, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Church Street/Main Street (within shouting distance of this marker); H.H. Singletary Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Palmetto State Bank Robbery (about 700 feet away); Whitehead Infirmary (about 800 feet away); W.T. Askins House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Greater St. James A.M.E. Church (approx. ĺ mile away); Browntown (approx. 8.1 miles away); Cooper's Academy / Bethesda Methodist Church (approx. 8.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lake City.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 27, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 564 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 27, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.