Near Quinby in Florence County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Ney School / Back Swamp School
About 1843 Robert Rogers (1808-1882), a planter at "Blooming Grove" in the Back Swamp community of what was then Darlington District, built a plantation schoolhouse and hired Peter Stuart Ney (d. 1846) to teach his children. The original building, moved here in 1870, was later the library for Back Swamp School (1921-1950). In 1970 it was moved to the home of Evander McIver Ervin.
Back Swamp School
This school, the second on the site, was built in 1921 by Back Swamp residents. An elementary school sometimes known as St. Winifred's, it boasted as many as two teachers and sixty students in some years. When it closed in 1950 its students were transferred to Florence schools; it has since served as the Back Swamp Community Center.
Erected 2000 by the Darlington County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 21-13.)
Location. 34° 16.439′ N, 79° 43.087′ W. Marker is near Quinby, South Carolina, in Florence County. Marker is at the intersection of Pocket Rd. (County Route 26) and Backswamp Drive, on the right when traveling east on Pocket Rd.. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Florence SC 29506, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles Roseville Plantation (approx. 0.9 miles away); Roseville Plantation Slave And Freedman's Cemetery / Clarke Cemetery (approx. one mile away); Christ Episcopal Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); Williamson's Bridge (approx. 3.9 miles away); Moses S. Haynsworth (approx. 4½ miles away); Andrew Hunter (approx. 4.6 miles away); William R. Johnson House / The Columns (approx. 5.1 miles away); American Legion Post #1 / 2nd Lieutenant Fred H. Sexton (approx. 5½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Quinby.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 28, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 890 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 28, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. 3. submitted on May 10, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. 4. submitted on October 28, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.