Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tarrytown in Westchester County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

“The Memorial Church of Washington Irving”

 
 
St. Mark’s Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 9, 2010
1. St. Mark’s Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription. This Church, known as St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, was built in 1868 as “The Memorial Church of Washington Irving.”

Since 1957, it has been The Roman Catholic Church of Immaculate Conception.
 
Location. 41° 4.956′ N, 73° 51.522′ W. Marker is in Tarrytown, New York, in Westchester County. Marker is at the intersection of North Broadway (U.S. 9) and College Avenue, on the left when traveling north on North Broadway. Touch for map. It is next to Patriot Park and across the street from Sleepy Hollow Middle School. Marker is in this post office area: Tarrytown NY 10591, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Korean & Viet Nam Memorial Monuments (within shouting distance of this marker); Andre Captured (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); André Captors Monument (about 300 feet away); Second Reformed Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Philipsburg Manor (approx. 0.4 miles away); Asbury M. E. Church (approx. half a mile away); The Headless Horseman Bridge (approx. half a mile away); Christ Church (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tarrytown.
 
Also see . . .
1. Laying of the Corner-Stone of the Memorial Church of Washington Irving
The Memorial Church of Washington Irving image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 9, 2010
2. The Memorial Church of Washington Irving
Marker faces the sidewalk to the right of the main entrance. From the 1866 New York Times article: “The church is to be 100 feet in length, 50 feet in width, and will be in the Gothic Style of architecture. A fine marble statue of Irving will be placed in the vestibule of the building. The material used in the construction of the edifice will be blue Westchester granite.”
. 1866 New York Times article. “Influenced by their contiguity to these points of interest to all the readers of [Washington Irving] as well as by the fact that no fitting testimonial to his memory has, as yet, been erected amid these now familiar scenes, the wardens and vestry of St. Mark’s Church have determined to set apart their new edifice ... as his memorial. In pursuance of this plan, they have purchased an eligible lot of land, situated on Broadway, the principal avenue of the village of Tarrytown, only fifty yards from the spot where Major Andre was captured, and where the ‘strange rider’ first appeared to the village schoolmaster; and are about to put thereon a beautiful structure of stone, to be known as the Memorial Church of Washingon Irving.” (Submitted on October 31, 2010.) 

2. History of Immaculate Conception Church. By Edward Zegarelli. “And then in 1955, through a series of simultaneous circumstances, our church found itself in a most fortunate position: (1) we had outgrown our aging and deteriorating church on College Avenue, (2) the Federal Housing Authority was anxious to purchase it as a site for housing development, (3) the large and imposing St. Mark's Episcopal Church on Broadway was up for sale, and (4) our confident
Portion of College Street Façade image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 9, 2010
3. Portion of College Street Façade
The bell is the 1929 bell from the previous Catholic church building.
and growing parish was not only free of debt but we were blessed with a large nest egg. ” (Submitted on October 31, 2010.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 31, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 522 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 31, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the interior of the church • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement