Milton in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected by The Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-82.)
Location. 38° 46.275′ N, 75° 18.876′ W. Marker is in Milton, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Federal Street (Delaware Route 5) near New Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milton DE 19968, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rising Sun Lodge #4, F. & A.M., P.H.A. (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Goshen United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Golden Rule Lodge #17, I.O.O.F. (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. John The Baptist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Governor James Ponder Governor Joseph Maull Carey (approx. 0.4 miles away); Goshen Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Governor Joseph Maull (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milton.
Also see . . . Milton Delaware history. Originally settled in 1672, it was once known as "Head of the Broadkill" for its geographic location at the head of the Broadkill River. This location, just a few miles from Delaware Bay and Atlantic Ocean, was ideal for shipbuilding in days of old. Many shipbuilders and sea captains lived and worked in Milton... renamed in honor of the English poet John Milton. Milton is the birthplace of five governors, a town divided in allegiance during the Civil War, home to many officers who participated in the famous War of 1812, and rich in both agricultural and political facts and figures... (Submitted on November 4, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 4, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 579 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on November 4, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.