Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
DeForest in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Our Bell

 
 
Our Bell Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, October 30, 2010
1. Our Bell Marker
Inscription. Windsor Township High School was built on this site in 1895 on land donated by Ole S. Holum. This bell, a gift of the community's grateful young people, was installed in June 1896. When Union High School replaced the original building, the bell was moved to the grade school until 1952. The Stanley and Elmer Moe Museum preserved it during the intervening years and the Robert Wipperfurth family returned it to its original location where it now stands as a symbol of our community heritage.
 
Erected 1992 by the Class of 1967.
 
Location. 43° 14.869′ N, 89° 20.159′ W. Marker is in DeForest, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is on East Holum Street (County Highway DV) 0.1 miles west of North Cleveland Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 520 East Holum Street, De Forest WI 53532, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. De Forest Centennial (approx. mile away); The De Forest Depot (approx. 0.3 miles away); Andreas Dahl (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of the First Well in DeForest (approx. 0.6 miles away); Token Creek
Our Bell Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, October 30, 2010
2. Our Bell Marker
(approx. 4.1 miles away); Ella Wheeler Wilcox (approx. 4.5 miles away); Schumacher Farm (approx. 6.2 miles away); Maureen Mengelt Memorial (approx. 6.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in DeForest.
 
Categories. Education
 
Our Bell Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, October 30, 2010
3. Our Bell Marker
The Bell image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, October 30, 2010
4. The Bell
Inscription: Presented to the De Forest High School by the Young People of De Forest and Vicinity, Mar. 29, 1895.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 5, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 413 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 5, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement