Mendota in Dakota County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
St. Peter's Church
In 1844 Father Augustin Ravoux, who had already spent three years in the area, arrived at Mendota to assist Father Galtier. When Father Galtier left to serve another parish in the fall of that year, Father Ravoux assumed full responsibility for ministering to the thriving Mendota community, which was the American Fur Company's chief trading center with the Dakota (Sioux) Indians in Minnesota territory.
Father Ravoux had this church constructed in 1853. Built of limestone quarried nearby and roofed with hand-split pine shingles, the entire structure measures only 35 by 75 feet, and the rear portion was originally used as living quarters for the pastor.
The steeple has been twice replaced; the original cross that topped the spire now hangs over the inside door. While alterations have changed the interior, the exterior remains much as it was in 1853.
This church still serves St. Peter's Parish and is the oldest church in continuous use in Minnesota. From its vantage
[seal of The Minnesota Historical Society]
Erected 1973 by the Minnesota Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Minnesota Historical Society marker series.
Location. 44° 53.161′ N, 93° 10.088′ W. Marker is in Mendota, Minnesota, in Dakota County. Marker can be reached from 1st Street / Sibley Memorial Highway (State Highway 13) half a mile north of State Highway 110, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1405 Highway 13, Mendota MN 55150, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. General Henry Hastings Sibley (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); "Where the Waters Meet" (about 700 feet away); Faribault House (about 700 feet away); Mendota / Sibley House Association (approx. 0.2 miles away); The First Stone House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Henry Sibley and Old Mendota Mendota / Sibley House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sibley House Historic Site (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mendota.
Also see . . . Church of St. Peter. History. (Submitted on November 8, 2010.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 8, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 839 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 8, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.