Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milton in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Milton Public Library

 
 
Milton Public Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 12, 2010
1. Milton Public Library Marker
Inscription. The Milton Library Association was organized in January 1875, and incorporated in March 1883. The first library consisted of one bookcase in Welch’s Store. Books were donated by members who paid an annual fee for user privileges. In later years the library was moved to a building on Front Street where it operated under the sponsorship of the Milton New Century Club. For a time it was housed on the second floor of the Palmer Building on Federal Street above the Milton Post Office. In 1920 the library was moved to the Odd Fellows Building on Chestnut Street, where it continued to operate until moving to this location. In desperate need of additional space, efforts to obtain a new facility were initiated in the 1970s. With the assistance of Federal funds, the Conwell Building was purchased by Sussex County on September 15, 1978. Built by William W. Conwell, the structure had housed a variety of businesses since its construction in 1912-13. Following extensive renovation, the library was opened under county management in July 1980. Responding to a growing demand for services, adjoining property was purchased in 1998, and plans to construct a major addition were begun. Funding for the project was provided by Sussex County, the State of Delaware, and the Friends of the Milton Public Library. The expanded facility
Milton Public Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 12, 2010
2. Milton Public Library Marker
was opened in December 2004.
 
Erected 2004 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-196.)
 
Location. 38° 46.699′ N, 75° 18.645′ W. Marker is in Milton, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Union Street (Delaware Route 5), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Located at the library, between Magnolia Street and Federal Street. Marker is in this post office area: Milton DE 19968, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Governor David Hazzard (within shouting distance of this marker); Ships and Men (within shouting distance of this marker); Shipbuilding on the Broadkill (within shouting distance of this marker); Governor Samuel Paynter (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Holly Industry (about 300 feet away); Milton Museum (about 400 feet away); Milton Fire Department, Inc. (about 500 feet away); Governor Joseph Maull (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milton.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Milton Public Library and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 12, 2010
3. Milton Public Library and Marker
Milton Public Library and Marker seen along Union Street (State Route 5) image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 12, 2010
4. Milton Public Library and Marker seen along Union Street (State Route 5)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 9, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 408 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 11, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement