Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Franklinton

 
 
Franklinton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, September 18, 2010
1. Franklinton Marker
Inscription.
Franklinton
Founded by Lucas Sullivant
Site of War of 1812 Encampment
General William Henry Harrison, Commander
Land Office and "Harrison House"

NSUS Daughters of 1812 - Ohio
1983-1987


 
Erected by NSUS Daughters of 1812 - Ohio.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the United States Daughters of 1812 marker series.
 
Location. 39° 57.628′ N, 83° 0.95′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of West Broad Street (U.S. 40) and North Gift Street, on the right when traveling west on West Broad Street. Touch for map. This historical marker is affixed to the front side of the "Harrison House," very near the southeast corner of the structure. Marker is at or near this postal address: 570 West Broad Street, Columbus OH 43215, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Headquarters of General William H. Harrison (here, next to this marker but has been reported missing); a different marker also named Franklinton (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Franklinton (a
Franklinton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, September 18, 2010
2. Franklinton Marker
Close-up view of the historical marker affixed to the front, outside wall of the "Harrison House."
few steps from this marker); Lucas Sullivant Home Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Station / Macklin Hotel (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Franklinton Cemetery Archaeology (approx. 0.4 miles away); “In This Churchyard…” (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Franklinton Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
 
More about this marker. During the War of 1812, in the year 1813, this historical marker was located at the site not only of a military encampment, but also of the Headquarters of General William H. Harrison. It is strategically located at the southern end of the Harrison Military Road which ran north, partially along the Scioto - Sandusky Indian Trail, all the way to the mouth of the Portage River, where it empties into Lake Erie.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
 
Categories. Settlements & SettlersWar of 1812
 
Franklinton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, September 18, 2010
3. Franklinton Marker
View looking west, along the north side of West Broad Street, of the historical marker affixed to the front of the "Harrison House" as seen when looking at the southeast corner of the structure.
Franklinton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, September 18, 2010
4. Franklinton Marker
View of the southeast corner of the "Harrison House" as seen from the intersection of West Broad Street and North Gift Street.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 11, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 550 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 11, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement