St. Andrew's Church
Reverend Andrew Fowler was elected rector of Christ Church in 1828. He bought a village home on Whilden Street where he held services for 40 people from June to Advent to avoid the malaria-plagued sickly season. Services were held at Christ Church during the rest of the year. In 1833, the congregation proposed to build a village chapel for summer services. Governed by Christ Church, St. Andrew’s Chapel was consecrated on September 29, 1835. By 1855, the growing congregation needed a larger church. A new Whilden Street lot was purchased for $250. James M. Curtis built the church, designed by distinguished Charleston architect Edward Brickell White. The cornerstone was laid on May 20, 1857, and the church was consecrated one year later. The old building was sold for $500 to the Etiwan Masonic Lodge No. 95. Over the next 130 years, St. Andrew’s overcame many trials. During the Civil War, when Union shelling drove most residents to the
Upstate, the chapel was closed from October 1863 until February 1866 when it re-opened as the only place for public worship. The building withstood destructive hurricanes in 1885, 1893, and 1989, and the earthquake in 1886. Earthquake bolts were added to stabilize the church. The congregation grew steadily in the next century as ferries and the Cooper River Bridge
Location. 32° 47.295′ N, 79° 52.556′ W. Marker is in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Whilden Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Pleasant SC 29464, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Etiwan Masonic Lodge (here, next to this marker); Pitt Street Merchants (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Whilden House / 54th Massachusetts Regiment (about 700 feet away); Mount Pleasant Home for Destitute Children (about 700 feet away); Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Laing School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Darby Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); "The Kings Highway" (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mount Pleasant.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 11, 2010. This page has been viewed 444 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 11, 2010. 4. submitted on January 7, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.