Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Diboll in Angelina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Emporia

 
 
Emporia Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, November 10, 2010
1. Emporia Marker
Inscription. Emporia Lumber Company co-owner S.F. Carter and M.T. Jones purchased over 5,000 acres of land in south Angelina County and established a company town named Emporia in 1893. The town included sawmill facilities, a railroad spur to ship lumber, logging camps, company houses, schools, churches, stores, and a cemetery. In 1906 the sawmill burned and was not rebuilt. Although the company ceased operations, people continued to live in Emporia. Eventually the town was absorbed within the city of Diboll.
 
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6993.)
 
Location. 31° 10.379′ N, 94° 47.383′ W. Marker is in Diboll, Texas, in Angelina County. Marker is at the intersection of Maynard Street and Booker Street, on the left when traveling west on Maynard Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Diboll TX 75941, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Methodist Church of Diboll (approx. half a mile away); Old Diboll Library (approx. 0.8 miles away); Thomas Lewis Latane Temple (approx. 1.1 miles away); Diboll (approx. 1.1 miles
Emporia Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, November 10, 2010
2. Emporia Marker
away); Ryan Chapel (approx. 3.1 miles away); Prairie Grove (approx. 4.2 miles away); Burke Methodist Church (approx. 4.2 miles away); Burke School (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Diboll.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 11, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,056 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 11, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement