Clarksville in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Union Wesley United Methodist Church and Campground
On December 18, 1873, the trustees of Union Wesley purchased the lot where the first church was built. Standing in the area where the cemetery is located, the building served the needs of the congregation until it was destroyed by fire in 1957. The present church was erected here on the former site of the District #207-C Blackwater School. The land had been obtained in 1951 following the destruction of the school by fire. The new church was completed in 1961.
Prior to the placement of permanent structures on the Wesley Campground, persons attending services used covered wagons for shelter. The wagons were placed in a circle surrounding a pulpit. By the 1930’s wooden boarding “tents” had replaced the wagons, and a confectionery and bower had been constructed. One building that was adapted for
Erected 1998 by The Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-119.)
Location. 38° 32.705′ N, 75° 8.833′ W. Marker is in Clarksville, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Powell Farm Road (County Road 365), on the left. Touch for map. Located East side of Road 365, approximately .5 miles south of the intersection of DE Route 26 and County Road 365, Clarksville. Marker is in this post office area: Frankford DE 19945, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. George's United Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Blackwater Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); U.S. Army Radar Site 11 (approx. 2½ miles away); Our Community's Role in World War II (first marker) Our Community's Role in World War II (second marker) (approx. 2½ miles away); Our Community's Role in World War II (third marker) (approx. 2½ miles away); Mariner’s Bethel United Methodist Church (approx. 3 miles away); Ocean View Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.1 miles away).
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 12, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 774 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 12, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.