North Canaan in Litchfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
mountain laurel blooms.” – WILBUR L. CROSS
North Canaan was once part of the Town of Canaan, established in 1738. Settlers, whose families were of Dutch and English origin, had to be self-sufficient, looking to their own farms for necessities. There was early interest in smelting and forging iron at sites along the Blackberry (Bromfoxit) River, which powered the blast at Beckley Furnace, still standing. Needed resources were at hand – ore from nearby Salisbury, limestone, and charcoal – so that for nearly two hundred years it was practical to produce pig iron and items ranging from nails to ship anchors. At a short distance stands Lawrence Tavern, built in 1751 and still owned by descendants of the original family. Settlements in Canaan Valley and East Canaan were separated by Canaan Mountain from the more populous southern part of the township.
< Reverse Side: >
Erected 1978 by Town of North Canaan, Falls Village - Canaan Historical Society and Connecticut Historical Commission.
Location. 42° 1.487′ N, 73° 19.56′ W. Marker is in North Canaan, Connecticut, in Litchfield County. Marker is on E Main Street (U.S. 44) west of Elm Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Canaan CT 06018, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. North Canaan Veterans Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); North Canaan Korean - World War II – Vietnam Veterans Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); John F. Bianchi (approx. Joseph Deferari (approx. 0.8 miles away); What Is This Place? (approx. 2 miles away); Casting Arch & Furnace Hearth (approx. 2 miles away); Salamander (approx. 2 miles away); Birth of an Industry (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in North Canaan.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 12, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 499 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 12, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.