Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
El Paso in El Paso County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Alderete-Candelaria House

 
 
Alderete-Candelaria House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 4, 2010
1. Alderete-Candelaria House Marker
Inscription. Although the exact building date for this adobe masonry structure is unknown, it appears to have been constructed during the 1870s for Benigno Alderete (1845-1916). Born in Ysleta (now part of El Paso), Alderete served at various times as a Texas Ranger, county commissioner, and town mayor. The residence became known as the Candelaria House after Alderete's granddaughter Ester married Alex Candelaria, whose family also had been leaders in early El Paso County history. The large "L" shaped house and courtyard originally shared the property with a corral, irrigation ditch, and agricultural field. Built with the help of the neighboring Tigua Indians, the house exhibits many examples of their construction techniques.

While Alderete's descendants continued to live in parts of the structure until 1969, other parts have been used for a variety of purposes. The house served as an outbuilding for the nearby mission, as a temporary courthouse, gristmill, school, dance hall, puppet show theatre, movie house, and county office building.

The style and usage of the Alderete-Candelaria House attest to the blending of Spanish, Indian, and American influences in the area. This cultural mix is an important part of El Paso County history.
 
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker
Alderete-Candelaria House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 4, 2010
2. Alderete-Candelaria House Marker
Marker is at the left.
Number 105.)
 
Location. 31° 41.418′ N, 106° 19.581′ W. Marker is in El Paso, Texas, in El Paso County. Marker is on South Old Pueblo Drive south of Alameda Avenue (Texas Highway 20), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 122 South Old Pueblo Drive, El Paso TX 79907, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ysleta Plaza (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Oldest Mission in Texas (about 600 feet away); First Mission and Pueblo in Texas (about 600 feet away); Site Of The First Mission In Texas (about 600 feet away); San Antonio de Senecú (approx. 1.6 miles away); Captain Frank Jones (approx. 1.6 miles away); Camino Real (approx. 2.5 miles away); Socorro (approx. 2.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in El Paso.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Alderete-Candelaria House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 4, 2010
3. Alderete-Candelaria House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 15, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 653 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 15, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement