Florence in Florence County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Florence Depot (1852) / Wilmington & Manchester RR
The original depot named Florence was built here in 1852, where the Wilmington & Manchester RR crossed present-day Hoffmeyer Rd. It was named for Florence Harllee (1848-1927), daughter of the railroad's president, William W. Harllee (1812-1897). In 1855 a new depot was built 2 mi. E where the railroad crossed Coit St., the Cheraw & Darlington RR, and the North Eastern RR.
Wilmington & Manchester RR
The 1855 depot became the center of the city of Florence, incorporated in 1871. The Wilmington & Manchester RR, chartered in 1846, began operating in 1853 and ran from Eagle Island, N.C., to Manchester, S.C., passing within 10 mi. of Darlington, S.C. In 1870 it was reorganized as the Wilmington, Columbia, & Augusta RR. It became part of the Atlantic Coast Line RR in 1898.
Erected 2005 by the Florence County Historical Society. (Marker Number 21-19.)
Location. 34° 11.591′ N, 79° 48.649′ W. Marker is in Florence, South Carolina, in Florence County. Marker is on Hoffmeyer Rd. just from W. Darlington Street Ext., on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Florence SC 29501, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within September 11, 2001 (approx. 1.4 miles away); World War II Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away); Purple Heart Recipients (approx. 1½ miles away); The Marine Corps League of Florence, SC (approx. 1½ miles away); Desert Storm (approx. 1½ miles away); Florence Veterans Park (approx. 1½ miles away); POW✯MIA (approx. 1½ miles away); The Cruiser Pee Dee, C.S.N. (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Florence.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 16, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 745 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 16, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.