Near Florence in Florence County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Pisgah Methodist Church
This church, founded in 1806 in what was Darlington District until Florence County was founded in 1888, grew out of an early Methodist “Society.” Rev. Thomas Humphries (d. 1820), who served this and other area circuits, conducted the first service. In 1813 Dempsey Russell donated an acre to the congregation, which soon built a frame building here as its first permanent church.
The church, often called “Russell’s Meeting House” or “Russell’s Church” for Dempsey Russell, changed its name to Pisgah Methodist Church in 1840. It moved to a site a few miles west after the Civil War but soon returned to this site and built a larger frame church in 1878-79. The present church, built in 1914, is a fine example of the Carpenter Gothic architectural style.
Erected 2006 by the Congregation. (Marker Number 21-23.)
Location. 34° 12.686′ N, 79° 50.369′ W. Marker is near Florence, South Carolina, in Florence County. Marker is on N. Ebenezer Rd. 0.2 miles north of Hoffmeyer Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Florence SC 29501, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles Purple Heart Recipients (approx. 1.8 miles away); September 11, 2001 (approx. 1.8 miles away); Florence Veterans Park (approx. 1.8 miles away); Desert Storm (approx. 1.8 miles away); World War II Memorial (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Marine Corps League of Florence, SC (approx. 1.9 miles away); POW✯MIA (approx. 1.9 miles away); Florence Depot (1852) / Wilmington & Manchester RR (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Florence.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 16, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 607 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 16, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.