Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ocean View in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Marinerís Bethel United Methodist Church

 
 
Marinerís Bethel United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 11, 2010
1. Marinerís Bethel United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. During the spring of 1779, Methodist pioneer Freeborn Garrettson visited this area to bring the message of his faith to the people. Garrettsonís efforts were favorably received, and a number of local Methodist “societies” were organized. Among these was the Cedar Neck Society, and it is to this group that the origin of this church can be traced. While local “class meetings” were often held outside or in private residences, for many years members were forced to travel some distance to worship in a church.
On October 1, 1858, the society purchased a small lot of land at this location on which a church was to be constructed. The building was completed and dedicated the following year. The church became known as “Marinerís Bethel” in recognition of the occupation of many of its members. On June 16, 1894, four acres of adjoining land were purchased for the purposes of building a new church and expanding the cemetery. The new building was completed in 1889.
A community hall was added to the sanctuary in 1926, and then replaced with the construction of a new education building that was completed in 1959. The sanctuaryís interior and exterior were completely renovated at that time. The education building was subsequently renovated during the time of the construction of a new addition completed in
Marinerís Bethel United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 11, 2010
2. Marinerís Bethel United Methodist Church Marker
1995.
 
Erected 1998 by The Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-124.)
 
Location. 38° 32.644′ N, 75° 5.474′ W. Marker is in Ocean View, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Central Avenue (County Road 84) near Vines Creek Road (State Route 26), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located at the cemetery driveway. Marker is in this post office area: Ocean View DE 19970, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ocean View Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ocean View Delaware (approx. 0.3 miles away); Our Community's Role in World War II (third marker) (approx. 1.6 miles away); Our Community's Role in World War II (first marker) (approx. 1.6 miles away); Our Community's Role in World War II (second marker) (approx. 1.6 miles away); U.S. Army Radar Site 11 (approx. 1.6 miles away); Bethany Beach Loop Canal (approx. 1.8 miles away); Union Wesley United Methodist Church and Campground (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ocean View.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Marinerís Bethel United Methodist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 11, 2010
3. Marinerís Bethel United Methodist Church and Marker
Marinerís Bethel United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 11, 2010
4. Marinerís Bethel United Methodist Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 17, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 415 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 18, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement