Darlington in Darlington County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. James Church
This United Methodist Church was originally named Pearl Street Methodist Episcopal Church. The first trustees were Henry Brown, Abner Black, Wesley Dargan, Zeddidiah Dargan, January Felder, Randolph Hart and Rev. B. Frank Whittemore. Tradition says Federal occupation troops supplied the church bell, which they had taken from nearby St. John's Academy.
In 1866, this United Methodist Church was founded by freedmen with aid from the Methodist Episcopal Church Missionary Society. The first minister was Rev. Liverus Ackerman, and the first building, also used as a school for freedmen, was completed by April 1866. The second house of worship dates from about 1883; the present building was completed in 1960.
Erected 1976 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 16-16.)
Location. 34° 18.059′ N, 79° 52.484′ W. Marker is in Darlington, South Carolina, in Darlington County. Marker is on Pearl Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 312 Pearl St., Darlington SC 29532, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of First Methodist Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Darlington Memorial Center Wilds-Edwards House / Samuel Hugh Wilds (about 700 feet away); Julius A. Dargan House (about 800 feet away); Darlington County / Darlington County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Lawrence Reese (approx. ¼ mile away); Darlington County Confederate Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); Darlington County Jail (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Darlington.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 17, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 587 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 17, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.