Darlington in Darlington County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Julius A. Dargan House
This house was built in 1856 for Julius A. Dargan (1815-1861). Built on land acquired from Jesse H. Lide in 1839, the house is a fine example of the Greek Revival style. Dargan briefly taught school and practiced law with his brother G.W. Dargan for many years; he was also a state representative 1850-52, delegate to the Secession Convention, and signer of the Ordinance of Secession.
After Darganís death in 1861 the house passed to several owners, most notably A.G. Kollock (1862-1930), editor of the Darlington News, and J.C. Stone (1900-1975), manager of the Darlington Coca-Cola Bottling Company. The house was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1988. It was acquired by the City of Darlington in 1999 and restored by the city in 2003.
Erected 2004 by the Darlington Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 16-52.)
Location. 34° 17.988′ N, 79° 52.614′ W. Marker is in Darlington, South Carolina, in Darlington County. Marker is on Pearl Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 488 Pearl St., Darlington SC 29532, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Darlington Memorial Center (within shouting distance of Wilds-Edwards House / Samuel Hugh Wilds (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of First Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); St. James Church (about 800 feet away); Lawrence Reese (approx. 0.3 miles away); Darlington County / Darlington County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Darlington County Confederate Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Darlington.
Also see . . . Julius Dargan House National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. (Submitted on November 21, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 17, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 469 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 17, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.