Hartsville in Darlington County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Baptist Church
Members of New Providence and Gum Branch Baptist churches under John L. Hart's leadership began Hartsville Baptist, the first church in town, 16 November 1850. A union Sunday school met on the site as early as July 1849. John L. Hart donated land on which the congregation built a sanctuary in 1851. Rev. J. W. Burn served as first pastor for many years. The church joined Welsh Neck Association in 1851, and the SC General
Assembly chartered the congregation in 1853. By 1906 name changed to First Baptist Church. Dr. E. V. Baldy, pastor in 1909, served as first president of Coker College. New congregations established by this church are: Fourth Street 1906; Eastside (now Emmanuel) 1926; Lakeview 1944; South Hartsville 1951; West Hartsville 1952; and North Hartsville 1959. The congregation completed the present sanctuary 1964.
Erected 1995 by Hartsville Centennial Commission. (Marker Number 16-34.)
Location. 34° 22.592′ N, 80° 4.448′ W. Marker is in Hartsville, South Carolina, in Darlington County. Marker is on E. Home Ave. just from 5th Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hartsville SC 29550, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. John L. Hart / John Hart House (#1) (within shouting distance of this marker); David Robert Coker 1870-1938 (approx. 0.2 miles away); James Lide Coker (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hartsville Oil Mill (approx. ¼ mile away); Hartsville Veterans Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); Welsh Neck High School / Coker College (approx. 0.3 miles away); Carolina Fiber Co. / Sonoco Products Company (approx. 0.4 miles away); Eastern Carolina Silver Company (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hartsville.
Also see . . . East Home Avenue Historic District National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. First Baptist Church is included in the East Home Avenue Historic District. (Submitted on November 23, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 17, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 445 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 17, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.