Venice in Sarasota County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Hotel Venice
The Hotel Venice was designed in Northern Italian Renaissance Style by New York architect Leon N. Gillette, a well known architect of the first half of the twentieth century. Locally fabricated materials were used in its construction. Notable guests included Thomas A. Edison, John Ringling, and baseball star Ty Cobb.
In 1932, the Kentucky Military Institute of Lyndon, Kentucky rented the building as a winter school for their cadets and faculty. The school purchased the building in 1939 and used it for winter classes until 1970. In 1981 the building was purchased by far South Developers Inc. The exterior of the building was restored and the interior renovated for use as a retirement residence known as Casa de Venice. In 1988, The Adult Care Management Corporation acquired the building and renamed it Park Place.
The Hotel Venice was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984 and was the first building in the City of Venice to be listed.
Location. 27° 6.049′ N, 82° 26.846′ W. Marker is in Venice, Florida, in Sarasota County. Marker is on Tampa Avenue West east of Nassau Street North, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Venice FL 34285, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kentucky Military Institute (within shouting distance of this marker); Venice (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); San Marco Hotel (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Kentucky Military Institute (about 400 feet away); Ennes Arcade and Hotel Valencia 1926 (about 500 feet away); Johnson-Schoolcraft Building 1926 (about 800 feet away); Welcome to Heritage Court / Fred H. Albee, M.D. (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lord - Higel House Restoration Project (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Venice.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 28, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 650 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on November 28, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.