Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lewes in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

St. Peter's Episcopal Church

 
 
St. Peter's Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 15, 2010
1. St. Peter's Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription. In 1680, the Justices of the County petitioned Governor Edmond Andros for the right to grant lands. Under this authority, a lot of ground at this location was reserved for “publick use.” Many of the settlers who came to this area in the late 17th and early 18th centuries were members of the Church of England. In 1708, the Reverend William Black was sent to establish a Mission here to serve the needs of Sussex Countyís growing population. The first permanently stationed clergyman was Reverend William Becket, who arrived in Lewes in 1721. Under his leadership, construction of the first house of worship on this site was completed in the 1720s. The old church was replaced by a second frame structure in 1808. In 1853 the existing church was moved to a corner of the lot. On May 27, 1854, the cornerstone of the present building was laid by Bishop Alfred Lee. The new church was formally consecrated in 1858. St. Peterís Episcopal Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.
 
Erected 2006 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-202.)
 
Location. 38° 46.536′ N, 75° 8.43′ W. Marker is in Lewes, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on 2nd Street near Market Street
St. Peter's Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 15, 2010
2. St. Peter's Episcopal Church
, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lewes DE 19958, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Court House (a few steps from this marker); The New Devon Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); Dodds Corner (within shouting distance of this marker); John Penrose Virden (within shouting distance of this marker); Ryves Holt House (within shouting distance of this marker); Lewes (within shouting distance of this marker); The Explorations of Giovanni da Verrazzano (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Bethel Church (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewes.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
St. Peter's Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 15, 2010
3. St. Peter's Episcopal Church Marker
St. Peter's Episcopal Church Marker seen along 2nd Street image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 15, 2010
4. St. Peter's Episcopal Church Marker seen along 2nd Street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 1, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 426 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 3, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement