Mariposa in Mariposa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Mariposa Museum and History Center
Golden Key Mine Stamp Mill
—Mariposa Gazette Building, Counts House —
In December 1969, Judge Thomas and Katherine Coakley donated the land to Mariposa County Historical Society.
In 1972 the museum's collection was moved to this site. Outdoor exhibits include,
The five stamp mill from the Golden Key Mine crushed gold bearing ore in the Whitlock Mining District until 1953.
The Counts House was built in 1863 by Augustus Shriver and was purchased by County Treasurer George Counts in 1872.
The Gazette Building served as both the “Sons of Temperance" Hall and Mensing's Saloon. In 1875 it then became the home of the Mariposa Gazette newspaper and was donated by the Campbell family in 1991. Some of the original type and presses are on display and still used to print specialty Items.
Matuca Chapter 1849
E Clampus Vitus
April 7, 2007 (6012)
In memory of 1960 Matuca Humbug Tom Coakley
Credo Quia Absurdum
Erected 2007 by Matuca Chapter 1849, E Clampus Vitus.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. Touch for map. One block west of Highway 49 at 12th Street in downtown Mariposa. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5119 Jessie Street, Mariposa CA 95338, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Shrine to Justice in California (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mariposa County Court House (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Mariposa County Court House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mariposa County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mariposa Independent Order Odd Fellows Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fremont Adobe (approx. half a mile away); Schlageter Hotel (approx. half a mile away); Mariposa County’s Old Stone Jail (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mariposa.
More about this marker. Museum grounds include the Gazette Building, the Counts House and the 1800's stamp mill.
In 1979 the Holy Cross Catholic Church building was moved here from Indian Gulch. It was distroyed in a fire in the 1980's.
A large buckboard wagon and a logging wagon (with a massive log on it) sit in a small park between Jessie
Regarding Mariposa Museum and History Center. Photography is not allowed inside the museum.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Site of Holy Cross Catholic Church
Also see . . . Mariposa Museum and History Center. The museum's website. (Submitted on December 3, 2010.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 3, 2010, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. This page has been viewed 1,245 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 3, 2010, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. 7. submitted on June 24, 2014, by Mia Kostouros of Los Banos, California. 8, 9, 10. submitted on December 3, 2010, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. 11. submitted on June 22, 2014, by Mia Kostouros of Los Banos, California. 12, 13, 14, 15, 16. submitted on December 3, 2010, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. 17, 18. submitted on June 22, 2014, by Mia Kostouros of Los Banos, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.