Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Timothy Brown House
Erected 1972 by the Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 12.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission marker series.
Location. 43° 4.73′ N, 89° 23.176′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker can be reached from East Gorham Street 0.1 miles west of North Butler Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 116 East Gorham Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mansion Hill Historic District (a few steps from this marker); Period Garden Park (a few steps from this marker); Keyes House (within shouting distance of this marker); Bashford House Pierce House (about 300 feet away); Old Governor's Mansion (about 300 feet away); Kendall House (about 400 feet away); Keenan House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Timothy Brown House. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "This cream brick house is in the Italianate style. The stately neo-classical veranda dates to the turn-of-the-last-century. Timothy Brown came to Madison in 1855 at the request of a fellow New York Stater, Napoleon Bonaparte Van Slyke, to be part of a growing Yankee contingent on Mansion Hill. Brown quickly became cashier and principal stockholder of the Dane County Bank. With others, he reorganized it into the First National Bank in 1863 (which has evolved into the present U S Bank). In 1870 Brown took control of the floundering Madison Gas Company and turned it into a financially sound business. Brown's real estate holdings and business investments made him a well-known commercial figure and one of Madison's wealthiest people. In civic affairs, he served as treasurer of the UW Board of Regents, alderman, county
"Later residents of the Brown family homestead included three justices of the state supreme court, a law partner of Robert M. La Follette, and grandson Timothy Brown. The original rambling carriage house is just east of the house."
Also see . . . Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for the house (pdf). (Submitted on December 4, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 4, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 700 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 4, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.