Stamford in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Michael F. Lione Memorial Park
Large, soft-brown eyes, reverently expressing the simple faith of a little boy; determined countenance and rugged body that bespoke the athlete who never quit; tenderness and compassion without softness and indulgence; fiery enthusiasm for victory with equal dedication to honor, that was "Mickey" Lione, to whom this field is dedicated that all who play hereon may learn that only evil is flabby and that manliness is goodness, here and everywhere.
Dedicated September 26, 1954
Location. 41° 3.228′ N, 73° 33.423′ W. Marker is in Stamford, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Stillwater Avenue and West Avenue, on the left when traveling north on Stillwater Avenue. Touch for map. Located in Lione Memorial Park. Marker is in this post office area: Stamford CT 06902, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Charles E. Rowell (approx. 0.8 miles away); Christopher Columbus (approx. 0.8 miles away); Edward A. Connell Heritage Park (approx. 0.9 miles away); Stamford Old Town Hall (approx. The Settlement of Stamford in 1641 (approx. 0.9 miles away); Freedom Shrine (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Stamford Lincoln (approx. 0.9 miles away); Stamford Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stamford.
Played Mickey Lione Little League baseball from 1956 thru 1958. Lived across the street on 12 Corbo Terrace when the westside was truly a great place to grow up. Fond memories of this park, we played baseball just about every night choosing sides or with the league. There was a small concrete pool behind the memorial, I remember hitting a long ball that almost reached the pool, it was foul. After the game we'd order a pizza at Cipries (?) and go home. Great times.
— Submitted May 23, 2017, by Don J. Martello of Columbus, North Carolina.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Sports •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 19, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 5, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 706 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 5, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.