Athens in Athens-Clarke County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Athens High and Industrial School
Established in 1916-1917 and accredited in 1922, Athens High and Industrial School (AHIS) was Georgia’s first four-year public high school for African-American students. Originally known as Reese Street School, founded in 1914, AHIS offered a full curriculum of classes including Latin, Greek, literature, history, chemistry, and physics. Industrial classes were offered in the evenings for adults. Leading black educator Samuel F. Harris served as principal of AHIS until his death in 1935. In 1933, AHIS moved to this location, previously the site of the Knox Institute which was founded by the Freedmen’s Bureau in 1868.
Erected 2010 by Georgia Historical Society, the AHIS/BHHS Alumni Association, Athens-Clarke Heritage Foundation and the Athens Historical Society, Inc. (Marker Number 29-06.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 57.417′ N, 83° 23.082′ W. Marker is in Athens, Georgia, in Athens-Clarke County. Marker is at the intersection of Reese Street and North Pope Street, on the right when traveling east on Reese Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Athens GA 30601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 University of Georgia Botanical Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); Camak House: (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lucy Cobb Institute (1858-1931) (approx. ¼ mile away); Home of Joseph Henry Lumpkin (approx. ¼ mile away); The Taylor-Grady House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Louis H. Persley (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Stoneman Raid (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Flight in Georgia (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 6, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,155 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 6, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.