Brick Church in Giles County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Col. Thomas Kennedy Gordon
Erected 1991 by The Society of the War of 1812 in the State of Tennessee, L.J. Shaw, State President.
Location. 35° 17.046′ N, 86° 54.281′ W. Marker is in Brick Church, Tennessee, in Giles County. Marker is on Blackburn Hollow Road east of Lewisburg Highway (U.S. 31A), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located on the grounds of the Brick Church Presbyterian Church, adjacent to the graves of Col. Gordon and his wife. Marker is in this post office area: Pulaski TN 38478, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lairdland Farm House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Giles County (approx. 1.9 miles away); Bridgeforth High School (approx. 8.6 miles away); Gabriel McKissack (approx. 8.7 miles Pulaski Courthouse Square Historic District (approx. 9.2 miles away); Sam Davis Avenue Historic District (approx. 9.2 miles away); Donald Grady Davidson (1893~1966) John Crowe Ransom (1888~1974) (approx. 9.3 miles away); Sam Davis (approx. 9.3 miles away).
1. Marker Placement
This marker is certainly deserving of Col. Gordon, unfortunately, it is placed incorrectly. The grave which it now stands beside is that of Col. Gordon's son. Thomas Kennedy Gordon is buried approximately 1 mile away at the corner of Buford Station Road and Hart Leonard Road in the old Lane family cemetery. This rather large cemetery cannot be seen from the road as it is overgrown and uncared for. I have seen the plot personally and can verify its existence. This cemetery also contains one of the oldest known burials in Giles County, TN and has great historical significance despite its neglected state.
— Submitted February 23, 2011, by A. Kerr of Nashville, Tennessee.
Categories. • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 8, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 866 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 8, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.