Milwaukee in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
General Mitchell Field
Kohler Aviation Corporation provided the missing link in Milwaukee’s air network by initiating passenger service across Lake Michigan to Grand Rapids and Detroit on August 31, 1929. Such famous pioneer fliers as Charles A. Lindbergh, Lester Maitland, the Bremen fliers, Wiley Post, and Eddie Rickenbacker visited this field.
On March 17, 1941, this airport was renamed in honor of General William Mitchell (1879-1936), Milwaukee’s famous air power advocate who had also proposed a strong civil aviation as part of the nation’s defense.
Erected 1976 by Eastern Air Lines, Milwaukee County Historical Society. (Marker Number 221.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 42° 57.509′ N, 87° 53.721′ W. Marker is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee Touch for map. Marker is located in the parking lot observation area on south side of Layton Avenue. Marker is in this post office area: Milwaukee WI 53207, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town of Lake (approx. 1.6 miles away); Bay View's Rolling Mill (approx. 2.8 miles away); Bay View’s Immigrants (approx. 3.2 miles away); St. Josaphat Basilica (approx. 3.3 miles away); Joseph Schlitz (approx. 3.6 miles away); Edward George Ryan (approx. 3.7 miles away); Orville Cadwell (approx. 3.7 miles away); In memory of Franklin Van Valkenburgh (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milwaukee.
Categories. • Air & Space •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 610 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 10, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.