Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clayton in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Town of Clayton

 
 
Town of Clayton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, December 15, 2010
1. Town of Clayton Marker
Inscription. First known as Smyrna Station, the Town of Clayton began when the railroad came to this area in the mid-1850s. In 1860, the name was changed to honor Delawarean John M. Clayton, a former United States Secretary of State and strong advocate of the railroad. The town was incorporated on April 15, 1887. Clayton became one of Delmarva’s largest rail centers in the late nineteenth century – serving as the hub for four railroad lines including the Delaware Railroad, the Maryland & Delaware Railroad, the Spur Line to Smyrna, and the Smyrna and Delaware Bay Railroad. From 1885 to 1920, Clayton was Division Headquarters for the P. W. & B. – later succeeded by the Pennsylvania Railroad.
 
Erected 1997 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number KC-59.)
 
Location. 39° 17.5′ N, 75° 37.974′ W. Marker is in Clayton, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and North Bassett Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clayton DE 19938, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of the Duck Creek Society of Friends (approx. 1.2 miles away); "First in the World"
Clayton Train Station image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, December 15, 2010
2. Clayton Train Station
Station is across the road from the marker.
(approx. 1.3 miles away); Sgt. John B. Maberry (approx. 1.4 miles away); Site of Old Asbury Methodist Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Home of Allen McLane (approx. 1.4 miles away); The John Cummins Mansion (approx. 1˝ miles away); Site of Green Pottery (approx. 1˝ miles away); The Delaware House (approx. 1˝ miles away).
 
Categories. Railroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
 
Main Street of Clayton image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, December 15, 2010
3. Main Street of Clayton
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 16, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 551 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 16, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement