Capitol Hill in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
In the Alley
Tour of Duty
—Barracks Row Heritage Trail —
You are standing in one of Washington’s remaining inhabited alleys, behind the buildings that face G, E (there is no F Street here), Sixth and Seventh streets. In 1897 the alley had 22 tiny dwellings sheltering well over 100 people. Today six houses remain, visible to your right along Archibald Walk.
In 1841 Samuel A. H. Marks, Sr. (1818-1885) built his home at 630 G Street (behind you and to the left), and alley stables and workshops. He practiced law and sold metal work crafted here from his hardware store at 641 E Street, which backs onto this alley to your right. His major client was the Marine Corps. A popular figure, he was known for the dog he trained to run between his two front coach horses as he drove Capitol Hill’s streets.
By 1897 the prolific builder Charles Gessford and others had constructed the 22 tiny brick houses on Marks Court (now the parking lot) and also here along F Street Terrace.
William A. Simpson (1864-1948) bought Mark’s properties around 1900 and expanded the stables from his Walker Hill Dairy, which delivered Frederick County, Maryland, milk to area doorsteps until 1929.
"Living and Working in the Alley, 1915"
[Area Map with points of interests illustrated and captioned as follows, from top down:]
This map shows the buildings that occupied the interior of this block in 1915 - a maze of alleys, alley dwellings, stables, and warehouses. (Map by Don A. Hawkins and Karol A. Keane.)
An 1878 advertisement for Samuel A. H. Mark’s hardware business.
Milkmen from this bottling plant made deliveries in the neighborhood. (Collection of James Simpson.)
This 1952 view of the alley from today’s parking lot shows wooden sheds attached to brick alley dwellings, none of which remain. The chimney at left in the photo crowns the church’s kitchen annex, still visible today. (Christ Church Archives.)
Fine art carpenters Ed Gunseth and John Husqua made this Art Nouveau bed in the workshop that replaced the Marks/Simpson stable. (Photograph by John
Oxen in this alley pulled heavy wagons filled with milk cans from Union Station to the bottling plant where the Church of Latter-Day Saints is today 522 Seventh St. (Collection of James Simpson.)
Dairy owner William Simpson. (Collection of James Simpson.)
Baby Mary Simpson in front of her father’s Walker Hill Dairy, 530 Seventh St., around 1908. (Collection of James Simpson.)
[Panel 2 - Caption on photo:]
The entrance to F Street Terrace and the three-story home with the two-story stables behind built by Samuel H. Marks in 1841, photographed around 1930. (Christ Church Archives.)
Erected by Cultural Tourism DC. (Marker Number 13 of 16.)
Location. 38° 52.898′ N, 76° 59.841′ W. Marker is in Capitol Hill, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on F Street Terrace north of G Street, SE, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. F Street Terrace is the alleyway on the east side of Christ Church. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20003, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Christ Church, Washington Parish (a few steps from this marker); John Philip Sousa (within shouting distance of this marker); Christ Church and Its Parishioners Life on the Park (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Neighborhood For Everyone (about 700 feet away); Commerce and Community (about 700 feet away); Oldest Post of the Corps (approx. 0.2 miles away); Edge of the Row (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Capitol Hill.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 9, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 25, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,018 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 25, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.