Georgetown in Clear Creek County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Old Town Jail
—Georgetown-Silver Plume National Historic Landmark District —
The building provided short-term accommodations for the occasional inebriate, brawler, and stray dog. The jail contains two cells and a watchman's area, and the same padlock that prevented escape in the past still secures the building.
Clear Creek County now owns the old jail. When the county built its new courthouse in 1976, the jail was moved to this site, in order to insure its preservation.
Erected 2007 by the Town of Georgetown & Historic Georgetown, Inc. (Marker Number 3.)
Location. 39° 42.363′ N, 105° 41.883′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Colorado, in Clear Creek County. Marker is on 5th Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Georgetown CO 80444, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hamill House Museum (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Argentine Central Railway Drexel Lacey (approx. 8.7 miles away); University of Denver (approx. 8.7 miles away); Mining Exchange Building (approx. 10 miles away); The Charlie Tayler Waterwheel (approx. 10 miles away); Idaho Springs Opera House (approx. 10 miles away); The AOUW Building (approx. 11.8 miles away).
Also see . . . History of Georgetown. In the fall of 1867 citizens of the area began meeting to discuss the formation of a town. On January 28, 1868 the Territorial Legislature passed a law incorporating the Town of Georgetown. (Submitted on January 1, 2011, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona.)
Categories. • Landmarks •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 28, 2010, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. This page has been viewed 849 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 28, 2010, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.