Capitol Hill in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Old Brick Capitol
[Old Capitol Prison]
—[U.S. Supreme Court Building National Historic Landmark] —
July 4, 1815
The cornerstone of the Old Brick Capitol
built by Washington citizens
to house the Congress
was laid on this site.
The Congress met here from December 13, 1815
through March 3, 1819.
President Monroe was inaugurated here in 1817,
establishing the custom of public inaugurations.
Erected 1950 by National Capital Sesquicentennial Commission.
Location. 38° 53.45′ N, 77° 0.336′ W. Marker is in Capitol Hill, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker can be reached from 1st Street, NE north of East Capitol Street when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is on the inside of the perimeter wall surrounding the plaza west on the U.S. Supreme Court Building, at the northwest corner off the 1st Street sidewalk. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20543, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. United States Capitol (within shouting distance of this marker); United States Capitol Grounds (within shouting distance of this marker); From June to December, 1917 (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Sewall-Belmont House & Museum Residence of Albert Gallatin (about 700 feet away); Alva Belmont House (about 700 feet away); Fiery Destruction (about 800 feet away); Cortelyou House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Capitol Hill.
Also see . . .
1. Old Capitol Prison. (Submitted on January 2, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Supreme Court of the United States - the Court Building (1935). (Submitted on January 2, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Old Capitol Prison; "American Bastille".
Categories. • Government • Landmarks • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 10, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 2, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,250 times since then and 90 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 2, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 7, 8. submitted on October 13, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.