T. B. in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
A 19th Century crossroads community named for a boundary stone with a “T” on the west side and “B” on the east to mark the division of acreage of William Townshend and Thomas Brooke. Established at the intersection of pre-revolutionary roads linking the port town of Accokeek with plantations on the Patuxent, Piscataway Village, and Upper Marlboro, T.B. became a commercial center and a stop on the stagecoach line to Washington. Bypassed by railroads through Brandywine in the 1880s, T.B. became a quiet rural village.
By Jacqui Chalifoux, July 11, 2010
1. T.B. Marker
Erected 2010 by Maryland Historical Trust and the Maryland State Highway Administration.
Location. 38° 42.078′ N, 76° 52.463′ W. Marker is in T. B., Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is at the intersection of Branch Avenue (Maryland Route 5) and Accokeek Road (Maryland Route 373), in the median on Branch Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brandywine MD 20613, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Wilkes Booth (approx. 2.6 miles away); Thrift School (approx. 3.1 miles away); Mattawoman Run (approx. 3.1
miles away); Church of the Atonement, 1875 (approx. 3½ miles away); Cheltenham United Methodist Church (approx. 3.6 miles away); Surratt Tavern (approx. 4½ miles away); a different marker also named John Wilkes Booth (approx. 4.6 miles away); a different marker also named John Wilkes Booth (approx. 4.6 miles away).
By Jacqui Chalifoux, November 15, 2010
2. T.B. Marker Facing Rt. 5 (Branch Ave) and 373 (Accokeek Rd)
Regarding T.B.. “T.B.” was the name of a 19th century village that stood at the intersection of present-day Brandywine Road and Old Brandywine Road. The village's name reportedly derives from the boundary stone that marked the division between lands owned by William Townshend and Thomas Brooke. The marker had a "T" on one side and a "B" on the other.
By Jacqui Chalifoux, July 15, 2010
3. T.B. Marker Facing Brandywine Rd
The Marlow-Huntt house, which was recently an ice cream store, is now an Indian cuisine restaurant.
By F. Robby, November 29, 2007
4. 13702 Old Brandywine Road
This building is the former Casket Shop built in 1878 and located next to the Marlow-Huntt Store in the background, orginally all part of the same tax property. The two buildings are the last remnants of the village of T.B.
By F. Robby, November 29, 2007
5. 13700 Old Brandywine Road
This building is the former Marlow-Huntt Store built in 1867 and located at the intersection of Brandywine Road and Old Brandywine Road, about 500 feet west of the T.B. marker. It was used at the turn of the century as a general store and post office for the rural community of T.B. Restored by its current owners, the building now houses the Ice Cream Factory and Cafe. The building is registered as a Prince George's County Historic Site.
By Richard White, February 9, 2007
6. The original T.B. Marker near this site
Initials on a boundary stone which stood near this point and marked the corner of “Brookefield”
a tract of 2530 acres patented in 1664 to Thomas Brooke, 1632–1676,
member of the Maryland Assembly 1633–76,
Presiding Justice County Court 1667,
Major in forces fighting Indians 1667.Click for more information.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 16, 2010, by Jacqueline White of Williamsburg, VA - Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,391 times since then and 69 times this year. Last updated on January 7, 2011. Photos: 1. submitted on July 11, 2010, by Jacqueline White of Williamsburg, VA - Virginia. 2, 3. submitted on July 15, 2010, by Jacqueline White of Williamsburg, VA - Virginia. 4, 5. submitted on November 29, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. 6. submitted on April 8, 2007, by Richard White of La Plata, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.