Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
T. B. in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

T.B.

 
 
T.B. Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard White, February 9, 2007
1. T.B. Marker
Inscription. Initials on a boundary stone which stood near this point and marked the corner of “Brookefield” a tract of 2530 acres patented in 1664 to Thomas Brooke, 1632–1676, member of the Maryland Assembly 1633–76, Presiding Justice County Court 1667, Major in forces fighting Indians 1667.
 
Erected by State Roads Commission.
 
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 38° 42.048′ N, 76° 52.536′ W. Marker was in T. B., Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker was at the intersection of Branch Avenue (Maryland Route 5) and Accokeek Road (Maryland Route 373), in the median on Branch Avenue. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Brandywine MD 20613, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named T.B. (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Wilkes Booth (approx. 2.6 miles away); Thrift School (approx. 3.1 miles away); Mattawoman Run (approx. 3.1 miles away); Church of the Atonement, 1875
Missing T.B. Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, November 29, 2007
2. Missing T.B. Marker
Missing as of at least 11/29/2007.
(approx. 3.6 miles away); Cheltenham United Methodist Church (approx. 3.7 miles away); Surratt Tavern (approx. 4.6 miles away); a different marker also named John Wilkes Booth (approx. 4.6 miles away).
 
Regarding T.B.. “T.B.” was the name of a 19th century village that stood at the intersection of present-day Brandywine Road and Old Brandywine Road. The village's name reportedly derives from the boundary stone that marked the division between lands owned by William Townshend and Thomas Brooke. The marker had a "T" on one side and a "B" on the other.
 
Also see . . .
1. Maj. Thomas Brooke, Sr., Esq. (1632–1676). Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on April 8, 2007.) 

2. Marlow-Huntt House and The Casket Shop. The property as listed in the Maryland Inventory of Historical Properties (Submitted on July 15, 2010, by Jacqui Chalifoux of Welcome, Maryland.) 
 
Additional comments.
1. Missing
This marker went missing when there was road constuction in the area. Now there is road construction again and the pole is lying in the ground not far from where it originally stood. Hope it is replaced someday.

Editor's Note: Thank you. We hope it is replaced
13700 Old Brandywine Road image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, November 29, 2007
3. 13700 Old Brandywine Road
This building is the former Marlow-Huntt Store built in 1867 and located at the intersection of Brandywine Road and Old Brandywine Road, about 500 feet west of the T.B. marker. It was used at the turn of the century as a general store and post office for the rural community of T.B. Restored by its current owners, the building now houses the Ice Cream Factory and Cafe. The building is registerd as a Prince George's County Historic Site.
soon as well.
    — Submitted June 25, 2010, by Paul Gleaves of Waldorf, Maryland.

 
Categories. LandmarksNotable PersonsSettlements & Settlers
 
13702 Old Brandywine Road image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, November 29, 2007
4. 13702 Old Brandywine Road
This building is the former Casket Shop built in 1878 and located next to the Marlow-Huntt Store in the background, orginally all part of the same tax property. The two buildings are the last remnants of the village of T.B.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 8, 2007, by Richard White of La Plata, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,896 times since then and 20 times this year. Last updated on January 7, 2011. Photos:   1. submitted on April 8, 2007, by Richard White of La Plata, Maryland.   2, 3, 4. submitted on November 29, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement