Grand Canyon National Park in Coconino County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Bright Angel Lodge
First Constructed in 1885
The Bright Angel Lodge, as it is known today, began as a cabin and several tents on this site in 1896. The central unit designed by Mary Jane Colter, was built in 1935. This lodge contains some of the oldest buildings in the Grand Canyon Village, which are now used as cabins. Two unusual fireplaces were constructed with the rock native to the Grand Canyon. The lodge's name is derived from Bright Angel Creek which was named by John Wesley Powell, the first explorer through the Inner Gorge of the Grand Canyon.
Location. 36° 3.431′ N, 112° 8.447′ W. Marker is in Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona, in Coconino County. Touch for map. Marker is adjacent to the rear (north) entrance to the lodge, off Village Loop Drive in Grand Canyon Village. Marker is in this post office area: Grand Canyon AZ 86023, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lookout Studio (within shouting distance of this marker); Buckey O'Neill Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Bright Angel Lodge (within shouting distance of this marker); Trans-Canyon Telephone Line (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); CCC Legacy Historic Kolb Studio (about 600 feet away); Kolb Studio (about 600 feet away); Grand Canyon Village (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Canyon National Park.
Also see . . . Bright Angel Lodge Photos. (Submitted on January 8, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 8, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 815 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 8, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on January 6, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.