Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Burke High School
This school, founded in 1910, was the first public high school for African-Americans in Charleston. It succeeded the Charleston Normal & Industrial School, a private school at Bogard & Kracke Streets, which had been founded in 1894 by Rev. John L. Dart. The new Charleston Colored & Industrial School, built here at President and Fishburne Streets by the City of Charleston, opened in January 1911 with 375 students.
David Hill became the first African-American principal in 1919. The school was renamed Burke Industrial School in 1921 in memory of J.E. Burke, vice chairman of the public school board. By 1930 Burke, with 1,000 students, had a full elementary and high school curriculum in addition to its vocational curriculum. Burke merged with Avery High School in 1954, was accredited, and was renamed Burke High School, in a new complex on this site. It was rebuilt in 2005.
Erected 2010 by The Burke High School Foundation, Inc. (Marker Number 10-67.)
Location. 32° 47.563′ N, 79° 57.224′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Fishburne Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located between
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Burke High School (here, next to this marker); Septima P. Clark Expressway (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Parsonage / Miss Izard's School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cannon Street Hospital / McClennan Banks Memorial Hospital (approx. 0.4 miles away); Star of the West (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hampton Park Terrace (approx. 0.4 miles away); AH – 1 “Cobra” (approx. 0.4 miles away); Calvary Episcopal Church (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
Also see . . . Burke High School Web page. (Submitted on January 14, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 9, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 638 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 14, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.