Wheeling in Ohio County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Oglebay Mansion Museum
Earl William Oglebay
1849 — 1926
and Sallie Paull Howell Oglebay
1856 — 1916
Daughter Sarita Oglebay Burton
1882 — 1930
Grandson Courtney Burton, Jr.
1912 — 1992
Waddington Farm was a gift
From Colonel Oglebay
to the citizens of the
City of Wheeling
This facility was the first
to be accredited in West Virginia
by the American Association of Museums
and is on the National Register
of Historic Places.
Location. 40° 6.148′ N, 80° 40.137′ W. Marker is in Wheeling, West Virginia, in Ohio County. Marker is on Bethany Pike (West Virginia Route 88) 1.7 miles east of Greggsville Clinton and Potomac Road (County Route 7). Touch for map. This historical marker is affixed to the eastern side of the Oglebay Mansion, which is located in a rural area several miles northeast of downtown Wheeling. Marker is in this post office area: Wheeling WV 26003, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Washingtons (approx. 2.1 miles away); Mount de Chantal (approx. 2.6 miles away); Walnut Grove Cemetery Elizabeth Zane (approx. 2.7 miles away in Ohio); Martins Ferry Pioneers (approx. 2.7 miles away in Ohio); William Dean Howells / James Arlington Wright (approx. 3 miles away in Ohio); In Honor of All who Served (approx. 3.1 miles away); The Defenders of the Union (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wheeling.
More about this marker. The Oglebay Mansion is part of a large estate that was donated to the local Wheeling community and developed into a multi-purpose community recreational/park facility with magnificent landscaping around the estates original structures. Walking on the grounds of the property and viewing the structures that made up the living areas of the Oglebays is an insightful glimpse into Wheeling's past.
Also see . . . A Brief History of Oglebay. The history of Oglebay can be traced to the late 1700s, when a frontiersman named Silas Zane was awarded a land grant of 400 rolling acres in northwestern Virginia. This land remained in the Zane family until 1812. (Submitted on November 26, 2015.)
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 16, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 562 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 16, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.