Bluffton in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Bluﬀton United Methodist Church
Erected by Bluffton United Methodist Church.
Location. 32° 13.92′ N, 80° 51.779′ W. Marker is in Bluffton, South Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker is on Calhoun Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Located between Allen and Waters Streets. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Calhoun Street, Bluffton SC 29910, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Church of the Cross (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct Michael C. Riley Schools (approx. 0.6 miles away); Palmetto Bluff (approx. 1.9 miles away); a different marker also named Palmetto Bluff (approx. 2 miles away); Pinckney Island (approx. 4.6 miles away); Charles Cotesworth Pinckney (approx. 4.6 miles away); St. Luke's Church (approx. 5.8 miles away); The Barrel Landing Schoolhouse (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bluffton.
Regarding Bluffton United Methodist Church. National Register of Historic Places:
Bluffton Historic District (added 1996 - District - #96000686) Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering
Architectural Style: Late 19th And Early 20th Century American Movements, Late 19th And 20th Century Revivals, Queen Anne
Area of Significance: Commerce, Architecture
Period of Significance: 1800-1824, 1825-1849, 1850-1874, 1875-1899, 1900-1924, 1925-1949
Historic Function: Commerce/Trade, Domestic, Industry/Processing/Extraction, Landscape, Religion
Historic Sub-function: Department
Current Function: Commerce/Trade, Domestic, Industry/Processing/Extraction, Landscape, Religion
Current Sub-function: Manufacturing Facility, Natural Feature, Religious Structure, Single Dwelling, Specialty Store
Also see . . . Bluffton United Methodist Church. Brief History - During the Civil War, a landing party from a Federal gunboat set fire to the church and parsonage. The parsonage was destroyed, but the church was saved by two Confederate soldiers. (Submitted on January 22, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 22, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 715 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 22, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.